What I realized today is that I do need to make a living. I don’t need to give up my precious time and energy worrying about work when I’m home? Where did they say ‘worrying’ makes me a better person? Nay, it just makes me anxious. It’s all about how I want to live my life. I want to smile more, laugh at another person’s silly jokes, listen with my heart and enjoy the simple pleasures in my life.
Have we become a society that matches pleasure with expensive toys or vacations?
Do we need to own it to enjoy it? I know I feel it at times, wanting more…seeing something that I want, and believing that I would be happy if I own it. I may be. When was the last time I stopped long enough to enjoy what I have in my life right now.
When you think of pleasure, what pops up in your head?
Here are some of my simple pleasures:
- Writing this blog post
- Going to bed and snuggling under the covers…and I’m grateful I can do it every day.
- Spending time with my children…just talking and enjoying the moment together.
- Today is my niece’s birthday…she is a definite pleasure. I will call her and enjoy her wonderful energy.
- I am talking to a friend. I’ve sometimes spent all day just sitting around with a friend, indulging in each other’s company. I always feel so satisfied by this experience.
- Brushing my cats…they look up at me with such love.
- Taking a walk by the water
- Reading a great book
- …and my list goes on.
How does this sound? Open up your calendar, schedule some quiet time with yourself. Indulge in your favorite drink and start writing out your list of 101 Simple Pleasures. Post the list in several places to remind yourself to indulge in at least one simple pleasure a day.
A simple pleasure a day keeps the doctor away.
Women’s Group Topics
It’s fun to brainstorm around what we can do to have fun. Also, time to discuss how to add the joy in your lives.
“To fully enjoy the ‘richness’ of our lives, we need to stop long enough to visit with ourselves.”
Check out this posting 101 Dirt Cheap Ways to Enjoy Yourself.